Modifying Your Resource Library
Modifying Your Resource Library
As a Community Admin, you can modify your resource library to display resources in a way that makes sense for you. You can add and edit columns as well as group, sort and filter resources by updating your ‘All Documents’ default view or by creating new views.
“All Documents” is the default view that has been set up by the site admins as the default view in your resource library. The following views have been created for you when your community is created: Recent, Videos and No folder.
Create a column in a resource library
Columns help you group, categorize, and track information, in a library. Column types include a single line of text, a drop-down list of options, a number that is calculated from other columns, and a column that allows you to select a person’s name. This feels like a very new kind of feature. It’s potentially cool but I think an example here would help set the context. Something like, “For example, you might add a ‘Person’ column to identify the person responsible for maintaining that folder.” There is probably a better example. Still need an example.
Create a new column for your resource library.
Most types of columns can be added without leaving your library.
- Navigate to the library you want to create a column in.
- Select + Add columnor + to the right of the last column name at the top of the library.
- In the drop-down menu, choose the type of column you want. You can create and add other types of columns by clicking on This will take you a more detailed page settings page.
- In the Create a column panel, type a title or column heading into the Name
- Enter required information. The number of fields will vary with column type you chose. The above example is for a number field.
- Click Save.
Choose which columns to display in a resource library
- Go to the resource library where you want to create a custom view.
- On the resource library page, click +or + Add column.
- To create and add a new column type to include in your custom view, select the column type you want to add, give it a name and any other data needed, and click Save.
- To choose which columns you want to appear, click Show/hide columns, select the columns to show or hide, and then click Apply.
Arrange columns in a resource library
- On the heading bar of the resource library page, click +or + Add column.
- Click Show/hide columns at the bottom of the library.
- In the Edit view columns pane, select a column from the library and either drag and drop or use the up or down arrows to change the order in which the columns will appear.
- When you are done arranging the columns, click Apply.
Sort items in a resource library
- On the resource library page, point to the name of the column that you want to sort by and click the down arrow next to the column name.
- Click one of the two sort options at the top of the menu library to sort the items in the document library. The options available depend on the type of column data. For example, the Modified by column is sorted alphabetically while the Modified column is sorted by date — older to newer or newer to older. You can also sort by size — smaller to larger or larger to smaller.
Filter items in a resource library
On the resource library page, point to the name of the column that you want to filter by and click the down arrow next to the column name.
- Click Filter byand then select the value that you want to use to filter the items in Filter by panel. Only items that match the value you’ve chosen will then show up in the library.
You can also click Open the filter pane
- To remove a filter, the column heading, and then click Clear filters.
Group items in a resource library
- On the resource library page, point to the name of the column that you want to group by and click the down arrow next to the column name.
- Click Group by to group the items in the resource library by the column selected.
- To remove the grouping, click Group by again